“Mama!” I think I’d heard this a hundred times before the sun came up today. When you’re the CEO of a family – or a business – everybody wants your attention. Here’s how to mitigate some of that in the workplace:
- Delegate. Do not try to do everything yourself.
- Hire people who aren’t afraid to make decisions and take a risk when it’s necessary.
- Communicate your goals and philosophies explicitly so employees know how you think and what you value.
- Repeat step #3 over and over and over.
- Give employees decision-making parameters – for instance, the ability to authorize purchases up to a certain dollar amount, or take the actions needed to resolve a customer service issue.
I haven’t figured out how to take myself out of every interaction in my household. Maybe earplugs would help.
How do you avoid being mama’d to death? Send your stories to email@example.com – if I use them I’ll feature your business.