What is it about autumn that makes me feel frustrated with my environment? Since I work primarily from home, it’s probably that I’m shut up in the house. I’m surrounded by things that bother me, yet I don’t feel any particular urge to fix any of them. I feel disoriented, restless yet unmotivated.
As a result, I have spent a great deal of time standing around today, feeling annoyed…and strangely that does not seem to tick off any of the items on the to-do list.
Things that are bugging me today:
- My garage smells like a combination of new tires and mice.
- It’s only 62 degrees in here but I haven’t had the furnace safety-checked yet so I don’t want to turn it on. I’m so sleepy I’m afraid I won’t notice if I’m being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.
- There’s nothing for lunch.
- Our deck looks like a shipwreck that has been raised from submersion and plopped in our backyard, barnacles and all.
- There are at least a million wet oak leaves on the lawn.
- I need to make a trip to the compost heap, but I’d have to walk through the million wet oak leaves on the lawn. My obsession with re-using all things organic means I have a kitchen full of vegetable peelings and coffee grounds.
- I am working on two different computers because I can’t seem to migrate everything over to the new one. It seems I have a problem with commitment.
- I’ve done all the laundry except the socks and underwear but I don’t feel like gathering up socks and underwear.
- We did sun salutations for the first 20 minutes of yoga class yesterday and I have sore muscles I have never been aware of before.
- Did I mention there’s nothing for lunch?
If I applied myself I could take care of most of the things on this list pretty fast. But it’s so darn cold in here. Guess I’ll start by kicking that furnace on and taking my chances. At least then, if I’m disoriented, I’ll know it has an origin.
What’s bugging you today? And what are you going to do about it? I am badly in need of some inspiration.