My recent post about my near-miss with a refrigerator magnet reminded me of this story.
During his college days, after a particularly rough night, my brother and his friends were lounging around a dorm room. One of them, for reasons that only made sense at the time, was lying on his back with his head in a dorm-sized refrigerator. You know the type – a small, white cube that in my day housed mostly generic diet cola and nail polish.
As he lay there, he noticed a warning label that you could only see if you were, in fact, lying on your back with your head in the refrigerator. It read:
Caution: When defrosting the refrigerator, use neither knife nor gimlet.
…raising the questions:
- What is a gimlet?
- By the time you spot the warning in its obscure location have you already used the gimlet?
- What happens if you use the gimlet? And is it worse than exploding a magnet?
Still, I think this might be my favorite warning ever, and it was highly suitable for the students of that particular, elite liberal arts college (even if they did misuse appliances.)